Scala Rider G4 Powerset: Motorcycle Headset Review
I recently rode my motorbike from Canada to Argentina with a friend. We did not have any headset system and I definitely regret that. Navigating through unknown cities in the heat, deciding where to eat, sleep and drink became much more stressful decisions because we had to yell over traffic and our mufflers. I am sure a good quality motorcycle headset system would have prevented that, and also made the longer riding days a lot more entertaining. I believe riding a motorcycle is even better when you can share the experience. Without the use of a motorcycle headset, it is hard to hear anything, even someone sitting right behind you. Taking cell phone calls is not only dangerous, it is next to impossible. However, the Scala Rider Cardo G4 Motorcycle Headset takes the motorcycle experience to a brand new level. It combines the safety elements of easy communication and control, with comfort and convenience.
Communication for the Solitary Rider
I don´t mind the riding experience as a solitary endeavor, but even if you don’t ride with that someone special on the back, having a way to make contact with the outside world or riding buddies is not only nice, at times it is even necessary. You can connect to your cell phone for a hands free experience that makes staying in touch simple. Even though they’re meant for communication, many headsets are still hard to hear on a motorcycle. The best motorcycle intercom systems can combat the noise from surrounding vehicles, the bike itself and the sound of wind whistling by with ease. The Scala Rider G4 is an excellent example of the way a motorcycle headset should work. Listening and talking qualities are superb, as you would expect at this price level.
Is it easy to set up?
The Cardo Scala Rider rates very well in terms of setup. Bluetooth pairing is also simple and takes less than a couple minutes. It is worth taking a few minutes to read the manual and learn instructions so you can fully utilize the features of this unit. It is compatible with almost any helmet, and is sturdy and rugged to take the abuses of the road when necessary. Check other users experiences with setup in these customer reviews.
- 4-way intercom conference calling between 2 couples riding on 2 motorcycles (full duplex)
- Bike-to-bike intercom communications with 3 other headsets with a remarkable range of up to 1 mile (with flip up antenna for extended range)
- Multi device compatibility headset is compatible with the following types of devices: (a) A Bluetooth enabled mobile phone (for hands-free communication), (b) A stereo Bluetooth enabled MP3 player, adapter or mobile phone (for wireless music), (c) A non-Bluetooth enabled MP3 player (accepts MP3 card), (d) A Bluetooth enabled GPS unit (for in-helmet voice instructions) GPS must support headset connectivity, (e) A Scala Rider Q2 headset (for hands-free communication up to 500m/1,640ft), (f) Scala Rider Solo/FM/TeamSet driver headset (for hands-free rider to passenger communication)
- VOX Activation: intercom calls, answer, voice dial, redial and call reject functions
- Includes an embedded FM radio with scan and seek features and 6 station channel memory
- Individual audio sources – each G4 headset can conduct mobile phone calls or listen to the FM radio or MP3 audio independently
- Talk time up to 10 hours, standby time up to 10 days
- AGC Technology – headset automatically adjusts its own volume based on ambient noise and driving speed
- Noise canceling microphone
- Weather resistant design
- Fits virtually all 3/4 and full face helmets
What phones are compatible with the Scala Rider G4?
A lot of people have been asking if their phone is compatible with the Scal Rider G4. The rule of thumb is, if you have bluetooth on your phone then it is compatible. So that means all iphones, blackberry and any phone made in the last 4 to 5 years will connect to the device via bluetooth and you will be able to make and receive calls, as well as listen to music.
What to Look for in an Intercom System?
When looking for a motorcycle intercom system, don’t select a product that is limited to just rider communication. The Cardo Systems G4 headset has functionality to back and forth with your passenger and you can talk to other bikers on the road. The Cardo G4 range is up to one mile for other riders, and has an auto-reconnect feature if someone drops further behind. It has FM radio integration for excellent listening quality, so the miles really “sing.” The radio has scan features, and can store up to 6 stations at a time for selection.
Finding Your Way With Cardo Systems
Almost every car and truck has GPS now, why shouldn’t bikers? Cardo Systems doesn’t think you should do without mapping features just because you are on two wheels. The utilitarian G4 has an integrated GPS system that speaks right into your headset using bluetooth so you will never lose your way. The function to make and receive calls is still available by connecting your cell phone to your GPS through bluetooth.
VOX Activation is the Key
Keeping your hands free is important during all aspects of communication and listening enjoyment. It isn’t enough to simply have hands free talking ability, but it is necessary to also have hands free activation and functionality at all levels. You can answer your phone, make calls and change radio stations. To communicate with a electronic device you need to speak in a device-friendly way. Here are some tips I have found to make sure your voice is heard loud and clear.
- You don´t need to yell and cause distortion in the microphone, use a clear, loud voice.
- Microphone position (very important) if it is off to the side you´re letting a lot of background noise into the mic. Just under 1 inch away from the lips and directly in front is the perfect position
- Make sure the mic is not poking out the bottom of the helmet and picking up wind distortion.
- Pronounce instructions clearly and fully, try to avoid any strong accents you have on those words.
- Learn the beeps and feedback so you know when to speak and when it is performing a function.
What I really like about this unit is that you don’t have to stop in the middle of your music to have a conversation with fellow riders. Many intercom systems interrupt radio or device activation when you want to communicate with others. With the Scala Rider G4 Powerset, you can talk to your passenger or other bikers while listening to the radio separately. The advantage of going with the market leader, is most friends or riders in a club are turning to the Scala Rider which means you will have a compatible headset for group communication on the road.
The Headset You will want to Wear
Other scala rider G4 reviews may fail to mention comfort. The focus is usually on performance, as it should be, but comfort is important too. If you aren’t comfortable wearing an intercom system, it will end up sitting on a shelf while you ride off without it. In the past I have had headphones that caused earache because of their bad design. The Scala Rider G4 Powerset is not only the epitome of function, it is so comfortable you are likely to forget you’re wearing it at all.
What are other customers saying about the G4?
The Scala Rider G4 Review page on Amazon.com is full of happy, satisfied customers. The most often commented on attributes of the Scala G4 are its clarity and how easy it is to use.
|“My unit was paired to my phone, and I was able to answer calls and have a conversation. The other party could not tell that I was on a motorcycle, going down the highway.” – Kimberly Toman, no location provided.
“I have had not one problem with pairing, clarity, connection or range. This is a fantastic model with just a few options you can tweak via software / updater.” – Jay H. Tennessee, USA
“Fantastic!!! The perfect system for riding in company. Excellent sound clarity, simple to install and use, phone and ipod compatible, you couldn’t want for anything more.” – bj75nt, Australia
“These things are great. It’s amazing how well they do, even in direct wind.” – KrossXC, Tampa, Florida USA
“The G4 is an excellent addition for both novice and experienced riders. I started using as an intercom while teaching my wife and daughter to ride. The G4 soon became an essential part component of our safe rides, brining that missing component of being able to do more than just point and shout.” Dan, no location provided
“Great product at a great price!” – R. salvati “Bobsstar”, Fort McMurray, Alberta CA
“Awesome, take phone calls, listen to stereo, talk to other riders 1 mile away, crazy.” – MotoMax, Pensacola, Florida, USA
For more information and reviews on the Scala Rider Cardo G4 Motorcycle Headset, visit Amazon.com to find more reviews and company specifications.